RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Thanks to Y'all! (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13712)

crazytiger 03-27-2011 07:44 PM

Thanks to Y'all!

After getting my first award yesterday, (and the first one in South Carolina, mind you), I really just wanted to say thanks to everybody for helping me improve dramatically over my almost two years contributing.

It started for me when in late March of '09, I stumbled on RP looking for train pictures for something I was doing for school. Through Google I found the link to all the BNSF shots on RP. Then I went to the main page and saw the others. I was enamored. I decided I wanted to take some shots too. Being the n00b that I was, I posted on these forums asking for a "Schedule" for the freight trains in my area. (Fail).

I was then given an idea for what railfanning was and I was on board (no pun intended). I took my P&S and went trackside. Here's one of my first rail pictures. Yeah, crap.

Anyway, it took me a few months to figure out basic lighting and a few more to figure out basic composition. By this time last year, I had it figured out, I was just waiting to get a train in good light. That happened in June and on 6/8/10, I got my first picture on RP.

[photoid=327443]
I soon moved up from wedgies to more interesting shots, all the while trying to soak up as much as I could. Now, 33 pictures later: A Screener's Choice???

[photoid=358256]

Thanks all. This site and the forum members have changed me from a foamer to a railfan to a rail photographer. I have learned so much and I am very thankful for what I have learned.

trainboysd40 03-27-2011 08:21 PM

You're welcome. ;)

crazytiger 03-27-2011 08:23 PM

Oh, and you especially, Matt.

ken45 03-27-2011 09:02 PM

Nice job, Peter! When I saw the thumbnail of the shot on the front page, I already knew who had taken it.

troy12n 03-27-2011 09:21 PM

Glad I could be of so much help

stevenmwelch 03-27-2011 09:45 PM

Congrats! Its my off day and I have five Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's in me, but doesn't it look unlevel? ;)

Joe the Photog 03-27-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytiger (Post 134348)
After getting my first award yesterday, (and the first one in South Carolina, mind you),

Thank you for rubbing it in, too. First in South Carolina.

JRMDC 03-27-2011 11:27 PM

Congrats, Peter!

crazytiger 03-28-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenmwelch (Post 134353)
Congrats! Its my off day and I have five Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's in me, but doesn't it look unlevel? ;)

Well, I think it may be, but the stacks a few cars back are level, which is what I think is about the most legit reference point.

Joe, yes I was kinda rubbing it in, but its an SC, which we all know is highly subjective.

Troy, sarcasm, or no?

Everybody, thanks, again.

stevenmwelch 03-28-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytiger (Post 134361)
Well, I think it may be, but the stacks a few cars back are level, which is what I think is about the most legit reference point.

The body of water has that tilt to it then in real life? :shock:

crazytiger 03-28-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenmwelch (Post 134362)
The body of water has that tilt to it then in real life? :shock:

True. On the right it is legit, but on the left, it isn't. I'll agree. I'll go fix it. ::resubmitted::

Holloran Grade 03-28-2011 02:53 AM

Very Nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 134352)
Glad I could be of so much help

Could I get a set of your self-help VHS tapes too?:confused: