RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   USA recession (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10642)

dituwonga 08-31-2009 10:25 AM

USA recession

Gday,

Visiting the US to do some photography but keep hearing that trains have been drastically reduced, Im worried I wont see any trains?

Going to Tehachapi, what would the frequency of trains be like in this area?

also visiting Sulivans Curve Hill 582 SanBernadeno, Cajon etc...

Are their trains running regualrily or is it getting hit and miss, and are the mainlines still getting some trains ie UP and BNSF.

Many thanks, cheers

EMTRailfan 08-31-2009 02:26 PM

I can't help you with your specific region, but NS and CSX in the east did cut/combine a few trains, but its not significant. The trains do seem to be smaller though.

TAMR159 08-31-2009 02:28 PM

There has been a bit of an increase in traffic the past few months...I don't know if it's the end of the recession per se, but on both CSX and NS they have been pulling engines and cars out of storage over the past few months instead of placing them in storage. CSX and CN are actually hiring train crews again.

crazytiger 09-06-2009 10:15 PM

A recession like this one won't take as many trains off the tracks as you are worried about.

trainboysd40 09-07-2009 12:26 AM

They actually closed down Tehachapi, because 90% of cross country container traffic is going through the Panama canal now. Due to terrorism, they have also stopped running trains in daylight.

JimThias 09-07-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40 (Post 98627)
Due to terrorism, they have also stopped running trains in daylight.

Right...too many terrorist train photographers out there being the main cause of that. :lol:

bigbassloyd 09-07-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40 (Post 98627)
They actually closed down Tehachapi, because 90% of cross country container traffic is going through the Panama canal now. Due to terrorism, they have also stopped running trains in daylight.

I thought that was to keep Canadians from wanting to visit? :D

ottergoose 09-07-2009 08:03 PM

If things were as bad as you're worried about there wouldn't be 100+ new shots added to the site everyday. Things have slowed down, but they sure haven't stopped.

raider-15 09-08-2009 04:51 AM

BNSF has abolished the M JACBAR/M BARJAC and M LAMBAR/M BARLAM (which run on the Cajon and San Bernardino Subs). Some locals have ceased running as well. I would assume there could be other trains that were cut, but that is all I know. This should not have much of an effect on your trip though, so do not worry! :)

milwman 09-08-2009 11:00 AM

Shorter and less of the but not all that bad, They had to much 2 years ago and more fluid now.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 09-08-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dituwonga (Post 98176)
Gday,

Visiting the US to do some photography but keep hearing that trains have been drastically reduced, Im worried I wont see any trains?

Going to Tehachapi, what would the frequency of trains be like in this area?

also visiting Sulivans Curve Hill 582 SanBernadeno, Cajon etc...

Are their trains running regualrily or is it getting hit and miss, and are the mainlines still getting some trains ie UP and BNSF.

Many thanks, cheers

Don't be worried; you'll see them! I would assume the frequency would be close to the same minus whatever trains have been annulled for now.

With the busiest months for railroads coming up (October to early Dec.), traffic is expected to rise. This may not mean more trains but longer ones and possibly some extra sections. (Not sure if you guys get those out west.)

All in all, don't let the media scare you off thinking that everything is abandoned and the mainlines only see a train every 2 hours. It's not true.

nikos1 09-08-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) (Post 98749)
the mainlines only see a train every 2 hours. It's not true.

Depends on what mainline, though some were that way even back in 2005.

chuckman 09-08-2009 08:02 PM

Don't worry! Plenty of trains to be had over here in the US! The only real difference I've noticed is not in train traffic, but in the frequency of older and rare locos!
Quote:

Originally Posted by TAMR159 (Post 98181)
There has been a bit of an increase in traffic the past few months...I don't know if it's the end of the recession per se, but on both CSX and NS they have been pulling engines and cars out of storage over the past few months instead of placing them in storage. CSX and CN are actually hiring train crews again.

Heard CSX wants more conductors back in Selkirk! Also I heard that CSX brought Q632 and 633 back! I'm not sure if there is any truth to this at all though!

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 09-08-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 98750)
Depends on what mainline, though some were that way even back in 2005.

I meant the ones in CA which were mentioned. ;-) Trust me, I know the pain of having a 'slow' mainline. CSX Trenton Line: spend an hour and see 3 trains OR spend 5 hours and see 0. I highly doubt Tehachapi ever looks like the latter unless there's a wreck or track work.