RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   new policy? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13861)

oltmannd 04-28-2011 04:17 PM

new policy?
 
Your current 24 hour upload limit is 2.

What happened to 10?

crazytiger 04-28-2011 05:06 PM

This is one of the most oft-discussed topics here. Basically, pre-2004(ish) there were no upload limits. Then in early 2009, new members started at 2, others being grandfathered in. On a case-by-case basis, the Admins will lower the uploads if they don't like something you are doing, just generally, uploading a bunch of crap, or violating rules or something. Now, as it appears you were in the grandfathered group, you have to figure out why you got relegated to 2. I don't know, maybe they made all non-elite members have 2 uploads?

jnohallman 04-28-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytiger (Post 136210)
I don't know, maybe they made all non-elite members have 2 uploads?

Nope.

Jon

oltmannd 04-28-2011 05:28 PM

I've had an half dozen or so "Top in past 24 hrs" shots in the past month or so, so I don't think it's quality of the uploads so much.

What typically happens is I'll upload 10, get 1 or 2 accepted (never the ones I would have predicted!), appeal 4 or 5, get one or two of those in. Then, I'll tweak the ones I really like according to the reject reason and try them again the next day.

I was 2 for 2 today when the hammer came down.

Just wish they'd have let me know....

coborn35 04-28-2011 05:30 PM

1 or 2 of 10 is not a good percentage. Even in baseball your on the bench for batting .150

oltmannd 04-28-2011 05:58 PM

What's kind of interesting is that nearly all of my recent "top 24 hr" shots were minor tweaks of rejections or appeals.

In the web biz, views = $$ so, I thought have some top shots would improve the owners bottom line...

(didn't know this was baseball...but my overall average is closer to .400. Batting average is hits per at bat, not hits per swing)

The problem with the two per day limit is I'm a lousy mind reader. I've had "lead pipe cinches" fail, but less stuff fly right through. So, I make my best guesses and let them sort it out. My skill at "picking the winners" among the 10 is really pretty lousy.

For example, this one, which I really like, took four tries with very, very minor tweaks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361683

but this one, which isn't nearly as good a shot technically or aesthetically got in on first try.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361680

It's their site, they can do what they want with it. I just thought I'd get the courtesy of an explanation since I've been around since the early days (2003).

JRMDC 04-28-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136215)
What typically happens is I'll upload 10, get 1 or 2 accepted (never the ones I would have predicted!), appeal 4 or 5, get one or two of those in. Then, I'll tweak the ones I really like according to the reject reason and try them again the next day.

You are appealing 4-5 out of 8-9 rejections? You appeal half your rejections? Wow!

Stop appealing so often, figure out what RP does not like about those shots and fix them. Appeals should be a limited part of your toolkit, almost never is it a good first response, not if tweaking is possible.

Freericks 04-28-2011 06:16 PM

I'm sure you were hit for appealing 50% of rejections.

Regarding your shots -- you and I must have crossed paths out there at some point in time. Man, we were mining the same territory in the late 70s.

Regarding the 1988 shot of the Cosmopolitans, versus the 1979 shot of the FA Power Pack -- the MUs are something that can be shot today, and to be frank, they are MUs, while the Power Pack is long gone and it's an Alco.

Beyond that, while 1988 is historic, 1979 includes that magic seven that elevates it. I've had shots from the 1980s dinged for things that my 1970s shots were never bothered by.

All of which is a long way of saying, an over thirty-year-old image of a no longer existing Alco is going to have less hoops to jump through than a twenty-year-old image of MUs that still run today.

coborn35 04-28-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136217)
What's kind of interesting is that nearly all of my recent "top 24 hr" shots were minor tweaks of rejections or appeals.

In the web biz, views = $$ so, I thought have some top shots would improve the owners bottom line...

(didn't know this was baseball...but my overall average is closer to .400. Batting average is hits per at bat, not hits per swing)

The problem with the two per day limit is I'm a lousy mind reader. I've had "lead pipe cinches" fail, but less stuff fly right through. So, I make my best guesses and let them sort it out. My skill at "picking the winners" among the 10 is really pretty lousy.

For example, this one, which I really like, took four tries with very, very minor tweaks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361683

but this one, which isn't nearly as good a shot technically or aesthetically got in on first try.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361680

It's their site, they can do what they want with it. I just thought I'd get the courtesy of an explanation since I've been around since the early days (2003).

Each submission is an at bat.

Joe the Photog 04-28-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136215)
I've had an half dozen or so "Top in past 24 hrs" shots in the past month or so, so I don't think it's quality of the uploads so much.

To keep with the baseball analogy, you're a homerun hitter. We see your stuff on the front page and it's great, but the two strike outs a game is what we don't see.
Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136215)
What typically happens is I'll upload 10, get 1 or 2 accepted (never the ones I would have predicted!), appeal 4 or 5, get one or two of those in. Then, I'll tweak the ones I really like according to the reject reason and try them again the next day.

This is why your daily uploads went down. Let's look at it this way. Let's say you submit ten shots one day. Two get on and eight are rejected. You're 2 for 10, not great numbers, but sometimes there is a fine line between a rejection and a Top of 24.

Now out of those eight rejections, you appeal four of them. Out of the fouy you appealed, one gets on. So now your success rate is actually 3 for 18. And then I suppose it's likely you adjust the other seven shots as well and resublitt thosed, of which the numbers keep rising.

I would like to see less of an either/or. The number seems to be 10 uploads a day allowed or two. Maybe some people would do better with five, maybe not. It's not my site. I would just say look closer at your uploads, appeal rejections less often and if you have any questions, ask for help here.

As you did on the cropping issue. My hunch was that you thout the reject was better than the accepted version, with which I did not agree.

Joe the Photog 04-28-2011 07:01 PM

Pfft. My bad, make that 3 out of 14.

oltmannd 04-28-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 136224)
To keep with the baseball analogy, you're a homerun hitter. We see your stuff on the front page and it's great, but the two strike outs a game is what we don't see.

This is why your daily uploads went down. Let's look at it this way. Let's say you submit ten shots one day. Two get on and eight are rejected. You're 2 for 10, not great numbers, but sometimes there is a fine line between a rejection and a Top of 24.

Now out of those eight rejections, you appeal four of them. Out of the fouy you appealed, one gets on. So now your success rate is actually 3 for 18. And then I suppose it's likely you adjust the other seven shots as well and resublitt thosed, of which the numbers keep rising.

I would like to see less of an either/or. The number seems to be 10 uploads a day allowed or two. Maybe some people would do better with five, maybe not. It's not my site. I would just say look closer at your uploads, appeal rejections less often and if you have any questions, ask for help here.

As you did on the cropping issue. My hunch was that you thout the reject was better than the accepted version, with which I did not agree.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. At two uploads a day, they're all going to get appealed - what's to lose?

I do like the reject better than the accepted one because it's better balanced geometrically to my eye. Most people disagree. It's not a right or wrong thing.... C'est la vie!

Freericks 04-28-2011 09:41 PM

No matter how cool your shots are, I would guess that if you appeal every rejection, even at a two upload a day limit, you'd get yourself banned pretty quickly.

trainboysd40 04-28-2011 11:15 PM

I appeal most of my rejections...which adds up to 1-3 appeals every two months.

coborn35 04-29-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136235)
Thanks for taking the time to explain. At two uploads a day, they're all going to get appealed - what's to lose?

I do like the reject better than the accepted one because it's better balanced geometrically to my eye. Most people disagree. It's not a right or wrong thing.... C'est la vie!

You will lose your ability to appeal. i haven't been able to appeal since February 2009.

milwman 04-29-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytiger (Post 136210)
I don't know, maybe they made all non-elite members have 2 uploads?

Yep thats how I see it.

crazytiger 04-29-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136215)
...appeal 4 or 5...

Don, meet your problem.

Freericks 04-29-2011 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainboysd40 (Post 136240)
I appeal most of my rejections...which adds up to 1-3 appeals every two months.

Sounds like someone has given up on taking risks!

oltmannd 04-29-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytiger (Post 136254)
Don, meet your problem.

Who knew? No, comment or note or email, just BAM! ..new limit.

oltmannd 04-29-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 136219)
I'm sure you were hit for appealing 50% of rejections.

Regarding your shots -- you and I must have crossed paths out there at some point in time. Man, we were mining the same territory in the late 70s.

Regarding the 1988 shot of the Cosmopolitans, versus the 1979 shot of the FA Power Pack -- the MUs are something that can be shot today, and to be frank, they are MUs, while the Power Pack is long gone and it's an Alco.

Beyond that, while 1988 is historic, 1979 includes that magic seven that elevates it. I've had shots from the 1980s dinged for things that my 1970s shots were never bothered by.

All of which is a long way of saying, an over thirty-year-old image of a no longer existing Alco is going to have less hoops to jump through than a twenty-year-old image of MUs that still run today.

So you'd think a halfway decent roster shot of an ex-NYC S2E would be good... no.

Or, triple-headed EBT in the snow in 1980 on a freezing cold sunny day? no. Got one in on appeal or a very slight re-crop.

But some generic Shade Gap Electric trolleys on a cloudy day got in on 1st shot.

If I had to pick, I'd submit the steam and skip the trolley's. But, that just shows I don't know what I'm picking

I just have no idea what the value set of the screeners is. I'm pretty sure trying to guess at 2 from 10 or 12 of what I think are roughly equal value is going to be a lost cause.

It is what it is, warts and all, I suppose.

oltmannd 04-29-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 136219)
I'm sure you were hit for appealing 50% of rejections.

Regarding your shots -- you and I must have crossed paths out there at some point in time. Man, we were mining the same territory in the late 70s.

We probably have only one or two degrees of separation! I also have a ton of Conrail "Middle Division" stuff from the 1970s and 80s that I haven't gotten to scan yet.

Joe the Photog 04-29-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136260)
So you'd think a halfway decent roster shot of an ex-NYC S2E would be good... no.

Why should a half way decent shot of anything get in?
Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136260)
I just have no idea what the value set of the screeners is.

A pretty decent way to tell would be to go through the database and see what they let in.

Just saying....

trainboysd40 04-29-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 136257)
Sounds like someone has given up on taking risks!

And photos.

oltmannd 04-29-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 136263)
Why should a half way decent shot of anything get in?

I don't know why they should, but they do. Regularly.

There are tons of less-than-halfway decent shots that get in. Much of the stuff from the 1950s, for example. Also, there are tons and tons of technically perfect shots of very, very ordinary scenes. Telephoto wedge shots of NS Dash 9s on tangent track for example.

I don't take issue with either, I just find it confusing.

You asked....

milwman 04-29-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 136273)
there are tons and tons of technically perfect shots of very, very ordinary scenes.

No way :lol:


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.