RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Reject Suggestions (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12669)

NS-Norfolk 08-19-2010 07:01 PM

Reject Suggestions

Ok, I'm busted on the reject for too large a copyright, I can fix that. On reflection, should have not have even added it.

That said, any suggestions on the picture before I resubmit it?

Am inclined to simply leave the locomotives silhouetted. If I lighten it enough, the lettering will dimly appear but at the price of decreased contrast. The framing is close to the rule of 3rds so am thinking no cropping is necessary.

Thoughts? Thanks!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=727168441

Joe the Photog 08-19-2010 07:06 PM

I'm not a fan of the watermark either, for what it's worth. I also think thre may be a few other rejects looming in the distance. The loco for my tastes should be closer to the right side of the frame and to the sun. It doesn't look like a great silhouette. I can't decide if it's the filtered sun, if it's just too dar or what. But I think the big copyright might be the least of the concerns.

bigbassloyd 08-19-2010 07:09 PM

It looks very dark and muddy on my work monitor. I think these types of shots need to have the lighting coming from the wheel area / under the locomotvies to work best. this train doesn't pop out from the background.

Loyd L.

Chase55671 08-19-2010 08:10 PM

While off subject, that must be a new rejection reason. While I don't apply copyrights, I've never heard anyone mention that rejection.

Interesting.

Chase

JRMDC 08-19-2010 08:21 PM

When entering into the city field, limit yourself to the city. In this case I think you also put in ", VA" and that shows up, along with the state name that RP inserts.

EMTRailfan 08-20-2010 12:15 AM

You might actually want to check your cropping a little closer. I am with Joe about the loco being a little farther to the right if you have a frame after this one, but I am referring to the rotation wedge that runs left to right across the bottom.

As far as the actual rejection, your own copyright tag seems redundant with RP's copyright bar across the bottom with your name on it. I can go either way with the water mark. With your placement, it doesn't really take anything away from your photo, but if someone wanted to steal your photo, it wouldn't be anything to just crop it and your own copyright stuff out. If you place it to "protect" your photo better, and then it detracts from the photo.

Greg P 08-20-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMTRailfan (Post 119778)
You might actually want to check your cropping a little closer. I am with Joe about the loco being a little farther to the right if you have a frame after this one, but I am referring to the rotation wedge that runs left to right across the bottom.

As far as the actual rejection, your own copyright tag seems redundant with RP's copyright bar across the bottom with your name on it. I can go either way with the water mark. With your placement, it doesn't really take anything away from your photo, but if someone wanted to steal your photo, it wouldn't be anything to just crop it and your own copyright stuff out. If you place it to "protect" your photo better, and then it detracts from the photo.

I remember a few years back, there was some drama with someone cropping out the person's copyright and then submitting the photos as their own.

NS-Norfolk 08-20-2010 05:06 PM

Thank you for the Comments !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 119744)
It looks very dark and muddy on my work monitor. I think these types of shots need to have the lighting coming from the wheel area / under the locomotives to work best. this train doesn't pop out from the background.

Loyd L.

I appreciate the feed back and while I like sunset silhouette shots, this particular image may not be the one to clean up and re-submit. Lloyd makes a great point that I had not considered until considering his comments, looking at the shot. The composition would be an order of magnitude better with light coming from the underside/wheel area. That shot was also originally taken as a .jpg, to clean it up along the lines of other suggestions will take its toll, also.

Will shoot it again when the opportunity presents itself. If the light is right and I can coordinate with a train approaching a location which will accommodate the shot, I'll shoot a fixed focal length lens to try and mitigate flare and will also compose it better.

Little is served by adding the additional copyright during post-processing, at least on this site.

I enjoy reading your comments on this forum and appreciate the observations on this shot.