RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MRL Paint Scheme - Red Dot? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8189)

fullreversal 09-03-2008 03:59 AM

MRL Paint Scheme - Red Dot?

Anyone know what the red dot on the nose of MRL locomotives is for? I know it's not to indicate a fire extinguisher inside or anything like that. I've asked a couple MRL employees, but they didn't know.

I'm guessing its a throwback to the NP somehow?

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Darrell

River Rails Photography 09-03-2008 11:33 AM

It means the locomotive is Indian :razz:

:lol:

Seriously, I don't know. I had to look up some photos f the MRL on RP to see what you meant, now I see... maybe it means it was released after, say, Mid 2007, and it's used to symbolize that? :confused:

EDIT: No, that's not it.... a quick search on rp shows the older (2004-2000) engines like that. Google search does nothing. Well, maybe you should try sending a message to JM Fryourbourg (I spelles that correctly, right?). He seems to go out there alot, maybe he'd know.

ottergoose 09-03-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Rails Photography

:lol:

Seriously, I don't know. I had to look up some photos f the MRL on RP to see what you meant, now I see... maybe it means it was released after, say, Mid 2007, and it's used to symbolize that? :confused:

EDIT: No, that's not it.... a quick search on rp shows the older (2004-2000) engines like that. Google search does nothing. Well, maybe you should try sending a message to JM Fryourbourg (I spelles that correctly, right?). He seems to go out there alot, maybe he'd know.

If you have nothing useful to add to the conversation, don't add it River Rails...

An homage to the NP Monad sounds plausible to me, given they use ex-NP tracks and all.

PLEzero 09-03-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

I'm glad to see you are back to your useless postings. Anyway, I've seen this question asked a number of times on other forums but don't recall anyone ever giving an official answer.

trainboysd40 09-03-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

No, no, and no....
http://images.encyclopediadramatica....Kirbyclose.JPG

BryanJones 09-06-2008 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullreversal
Anyone know what the red dot on the nose of MRL locomotives is for? I know it's not to indicate a fire extinguisher inside or anything like that. I've asked a couple MRL employees, but they didn't know.

I'm guessing its a throwback to the NP somehow?

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Darrell

there was an article in TRAINS back in the early 1990's on the MRL and there was a little tidbit on the red dot. Apparently Dennis Washington was meeting with a decal supplier at the time of the startup of MRL and the supplier happened to have a red dot decal in his briefcase and Washington had him hold it up the the striped nose of a MRL loco and liked it and it became part of the MRL paintscheme.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

fullreversal 11-04-2008 04:18 AM

Bryan -

You're right on the money. I'm up at the MRL this week in Missoula, and asked someone that today, and that was the exact story that I got.

Interesting how it was just by chance!