RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What is going on here ??? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17345)

Daniel SIMON 01-03-2015 08:41 AM

What is going on here ???

I would be interested to hear what others think about the cropping (and overall quality) of this photo ??? :confused::confused::confused:

How can "that" be accepted to the database ???

[photoid=512706]

miningcamper1 01-03-2015 11:34 AM

If it was April 1, I'd suspect that facebook bunch was at it again. :confused:

bigbassloyd 01-03-2015 04:19 PM

Hey if purple plows are getting accepted, this one is fine..

Loyd L.

Mberry 01-03-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON (Post 182989)
I would be interested to hear what others think about the cropping (and overall quality) of this photo ??? :confused::confused::confused:

How can "that" be accepted to the database ???

[photoid=512706]

This is something that rp would have accepted 10 years ago. Can't believe it was accepted this year.

Flowing 01-03-2015 04:53 PM

I'm forced to agree. While the location and subject matter are epic, and I think the point of the composition was to include the mid-train helper units way back in the train, this is a textbook case of 'subject cut off/missing,' a rejection that has been around as long as the site has.

JimThias 01-03-2015 05:10 PM

Great thread title. I'd love to know what's going on with these two photos:

[photoid=512658]
[photoid=512783]

Chris Kilroy 01-03-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flowing (Post 182999)
While the location and subject matter are epic...

This. Exceptions are routinely made for older, interesting subjects. How many shots does RP have of a GP9 leading a road freight on Tehachapi? The answer, now, is 2.

Chris Kilroy 01-03-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 183001)
Great thread title. I'd love to know what's going on with these two photos

One is the most favorited photo of the past 7 days, and the other is well on its way to becoming #2.

Is that what you mean?

JimThias 01-03-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy (Post 183003)
One is the most favorited photo of the past 7 days, and the other is well on its way to becoming #2.

Is that what you mean?

So I guess the overprocessed rejection is no longer applied?

That is what I mean. It's not often you see a BNSF gevo with a purple plow. :lol:

Daniel SIMON 01-03-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy (Post 183002)
This. Exceptions are routinely made for older, interesting subjects. How many shots does RP have of a GP9 leading a road freight on Tehachapi? The answer, now, is 2.

Chris,

I agree with you that this is an older shot (is 1978 that old?) showing an engine class rarely seen on this line in front of a freight train, but would you have accepted a similar photo with such a poor quality and such a bad cropping taken anywhere else in the world (outside of the US)?

bigbassloyd 01-03-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 183004)

That is what I mean.

I've never been there, but perhaps those plows, bridges, and other dark shadowed objects are purple and speckled in real life..

Loyd L.

raylewis 01-03-2015 05:43 PM

I never post about pictures that "make the cut" here, but I too was somewhat intrigued that those two shots from Montana made it. The bridges in both shots are the dead giveaway, as are the locomotives. They are beautiful shots that draw you in from the thumbnail view so many are opening them hence the large number of view...but once you open them there are some definite areas that are oversaturated. This ought to be an interesting discussion.....

Ray

RobJor 01-03-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 183004)

That is what I mean. It's not often you see a BNSF gevo with a purple plow. :lol:

Stick my neck out but from own experience some of the processing results from desire to avoid the rejection?? I personally don't mind things in the shadow actually appearing darker or even a little blocked out but......

The old teaching to the test problem????? Here is the question, give the right answer.

Bob

miningcamper1 01-03-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

[photoid=512658]
[photoid=512783]

The difference in color temperatures between the trains and the distant mountains is downright bizarre, like each is two different photos. How do you even accomplish that result? Photoshop on steroids?

[photoid=512706]

The Caliente shot is obviously a response to the many member requests for "outside the box" images, as parts of the train are indeed "outside the box"! :twisted:

wds 01-03-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 183009)
The difference in color temperatures between the trains and the distant mountains is downright bizarre, like each is two different photos. How do you even accomplish that result? Photoshop on steroids?

That's easy, it was taken on a planet that has two suns - one setting off to the right and another at high noon partially blocked by clouds! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 183009)

The Caliente shot is obviously a response to the many member requests for "outside the box" images, as parts of the train are indeed "outside the box"! :twisted:

You're BAD! I love it! :lol::lol:

nikos1 01-04-2015 03:07 AM

Interesting, so a cutoff, high sun and backlit image is acceptable because the screener thinks GP9's on Tehachapi are cool? I'm sure many others have submitted a far better shot of an equally rare occurrence to have it rejected.
If WTF views are what you want to drive traffic then thats your call, parts of the BNSF images look like they have been run through the posterize filter in photoshop, but I guess its ok because they are getting views......

Mgoldman 01-04-2015 04:04 AM

Quote:

Exceptions are routinely made for older, interesting subjects. How many shots does RP have of a GP9 leading a road freight on Tehachapi? The answer, now, is 2.

Bowser, the Dog on a Train, was at least 6 years old, that would make him 42 years old in dog years. How many shots does RP have of a Dog on a Train? The answer, now, is still 1, a photo by Steve Carter if I recall correctly. Time to even up the score!

[photoid=338293]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON (Post 183005)
Chris,

...would you have accepted a similar photo with such... taken anywhere else in the world (outside of the US)?

Word! Bowser's from France.

Kidding aside, I have no (real) issue with a few odd shots that make it through - it's the nature of the beast. Multiple screnners, different tastes and consecutive screening of dozens and dozens of images in a single seating, it's gonna happen. What I do find frustrating, however, is that past instances can not be used (if even over designated period of time) as a precedent for another. "Those are OK, yours is not" sets a bad precedent and implies favoritism (even if it is not).

I'd have rejected all three - however, noting the length of time John Wiesmann has been posting to RP, and the fact that his material has been very well received, I'd have made good use of the "comments from screener" to state the photo is desired if it could be fixed and note that an appeal remains an option at which point, much greater tolerance could be offered. (Maybe that did happen?) As for Walt Landi, a new patron of RP with seemingly incredible potential - same deal. Now, if someone else comes along with a GENERIC image without an established history or following on RP, status quo is in order though, it never hurts to offer some constructive advice (something I do quite often when I get e-mail from lesser known RP'rs stating they wish they could get photos on RP like I have".

But, that's just me...

Anyway - more is better when you have such a great database with superb search features. Good to see some familiar faces as of late! John West, Bob Lyndall, Ray Lewis, and even Dan (Indecline). Not sure if Steve Welch will be back anytime soon, however... Or Blair.

/Mitch

bigbassloyd 01-04-2015 05:09 AM

Would you miss me if I was gone Mitch? :D

Loyd L.

ATSF666 01-04-2015 05:09 AM

Anyway - more is better when you have such a great database with superb search features. Good to see some familiar faces as of late! John West, Bob Lyndall, Ray Lewis, and even Dan (Indecline). Not sure if Steve Welch will be back anytime soon, however... Or Blair.

/Mitch[/quote]

Indecline was drinking some mighty good IPA last night, doubt that I will be tempted again in the future to test the RP limits. Facebook and Flicker is where you need to go to see my stuff. ;)

J-M Frybourg 01-04-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

The problem I've always had with RPN is that you (RPN Staff) are able to identify this kind of exception when it is a GP9 on Tehachapi, but you can't identify a similar type of exception when it happens anywhere else than in the USA and Canada. Even after it is duly explained by way of appeal, the picture is most often kept rejected. (Hence my crusade vs "pro-US" bias).

I have recently suggested in a recent "Expanding our Community" thread ways to make RPN more welcoming to non-English speaking people / countries. One of the suggestions was about adding foreign screeners to the screeners team. This, and also more "listening" or "open-mindedness" to appeals requesting and explaining such exceptions would probably solve most of the issue.

J-M Frybourg 01-04-2015 08:13 AM

Quote:

[photoid=512658]
[photoid=512783]

These two pictures are great. But they would probably have been even greater if they had been improved after one rejection. They are obviously overprocessed and the yellowish sky and mountain on the left of the 2nd picture is weird.

J-M Frybourg 01-04-2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON (Post 183005)
Chris,

I agree with you that this is an older shot (is 1978 that old?) showing an engine class rarely seen on this line in front of a freight train, but would you have accepted a similar photo with such a poor quality and such a bad cropping taken anywhere else in the world (outside of the US)?

Daniel, I can't agree more with you !!!

Daniel SIMON 01-04-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-M Frybourg (Post 183036)
Daniel, I can't agree more with you !!!

Merci Jean-Marc !

J-M Frybourg 01-04-2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON (Post 183037)
Merci Jean-Marc !

De rien Daniel

I see that we are on the same page!

raylewis 01-04-2015 07:14 PM

Mitch,

Im always lurking....slowly getting back into the railfan world. Been kind of off the map for a few years after having a few kids and moving to Virginia.

Ray

/Mitch[/quote]