RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   CSX Huntington Division (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18341)

Mike Wilson 05-22-2020 12:15 PM

CSX Huntington Division
 
Hi,

I am looking to make a trip tomorrow to Hawks Nest, Prince and Thurmond WV to catch CSX trains on the Huntington Division (correct division in the first place?). Does anyone here have any advice as to train frequency as well as do's and don'ts?

Thanks!

-Mike Wilson

bigbassloyd 05-22-2020 03:04 PM

Huntington Division doesn't exist anymore. The New River Subdivision is part of the Florence Division. The current 24 hour count here varies between 6-14 trains per 24 hours. If you're a capable driver with a firm grasp on your directions you can successfully shoot the same heavy Eastbound loaded train at all 3 locations. Otherwise you can attempt a sit and wait at each spot and hopefully get lucky. AAR 8 (160.23) road and AAR 14 (160.32) is dispatcher. If it's not raining tomorrow Thurmond and Hawks Nest will be full of people. You will have to work around them and have them in your shots most likely. Prince is always a ghost town however.

Loyd L.

Mike Wilson 05-22-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 196605)
Huntington Division doesn't exist anymore. The New River Subdivision is part of the Florence Division. The current 24 hour count here varies between 6-14 trains per 24 hours. If you're a capable driver with a firm grasp on your directions you can successfully shoot the same heavy Eastbound loaded train at all 3 locations. Otherwise you can attempt a sit and wait at each spot and hopefully get lucky. AAR 8 (160.23) road and AAR 14 (160.32) is dispatcher. If it's not raining tomorrow Thurmond and Hawks Nest will be full of people. You will have to work around them and have them in your shots most likely. Prince is always a ghost town however.

Loyd L.

Thanks Loyd for the advice! Never been to any of the locations and I'm surprised to hear Thurmond is that busy...

bigbassloyd 05-22-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wilson (Post 196606)
Thanks Loyd for the advice! Never been to any of the locations and I'm surprised to hear Thurmond is that busy...

I wouldn't call it busy. In all honesty you will be lucky to catch 4-5 trains in the gorge during daylight. Usually 2-3 is normal. No Amtrak or RJ Corman on Saturday either. I forgot to mention unless you have ATT cellular, you won't have service anywhere, either.

Loyd L.

Decapod401 05-22-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 196607)
I wouldn't call it busy. In all honesty you will be lucky to catch 4-5 trains in the gorge during daylight. Usually 2-3 is normal. No Amtrak or RJ Corman on Saturday either. I forgot to mention unless you have ATT cellular, you won't have service anywhere, either.

Loyd L.

I think he was referring to people, not train frequency.

bigbassloyd 05-22-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 196608)
I think he was referring to people, not train frequency.

Probably so lol. So in that case, yes, Thurmond on weekends during the warm months is visited by several hundred people per day.

Loyd L.

Mike Wilson 05-22-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 196609)
Probably so lol. So in that case, yes, Thurmond on weekends during the warm months is visited by several hundred people per day.

Loyd L.

Sorry for the confusion Loyd.

Is there a map I can find of typical areas people visit to shoot the New River Subdivision? Or is it mostly just searching through google maps for things that look favorable?

bigbassloyd 05-22-2020 10:21 PM

The Gorge isn't an easy location to railfan as it involves alot of driving and walking. There are great shots to be had though. Aside from where you initially said you were going Cunard (Sewell), Fayette (under the gorge bridge), and Grandview come to mind. There's more places than trains present day though.

Cunard (Sewell)
https://loydlowry.smugmug.com/Trains/CSX/i-4d3XMZM/A

Fayette
https://loydlowry.smugmug.com/Trains/CSX/i-NVDgJqP/A

Grandview
https://loydlowry.smugmug.com/West-V...ry/i-SGFNg7P/A


Loyd L.

mowingman 05-24-2020 12:04 AM

Loyd is correct about photography in the the Gorge. In the 90's, I got over there once or twice/year for mining training. I always took advantage of the late afternoons to drive down into the gorge to photograph trains. It gets mighty "shadowy" in the gorge by mid to late afternoon. I found that out quickly, as most of my trips were in Jan. or Feb. Prince was one of my favorite places to catch trains. Also, the little yard at Quinnimont was very railfan friendly. Of course, that was over 20 years ago.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.