PDA

View Full Version : Two women hit by train

Ru1056
03-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Two women struck by Amtrack train. I think I could have found a better place to do what they were doing.
Click here for the story (http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=3130117&nav=9TahXxF4)

Ween
03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
The dogs also were killed. That is the epitome of stupid. I'm almost speechless...

cmherndon
03-27-2005, 07:14 PM
If you're about to be attacked by a train, step off to the side...

4kV
03-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like perfect grounds for a lawsuit because there were no signs posted warning of the specific dangers of walking dogs on the track. Moreover, there was no fence or other barrier to stop them from accessing the tracks at the exact point at which they entered. Amtrak should have known that on this day, at this time, and at this location, these two people (idiots) were going to partake in this activity (trespassing.) Heck, sue the organization from which they got their dogs, too. Those dogs failed to alert the two morons that the train was approaching. It seems like clear negligence on everyone's part but these two helpless victims.

Ween
03-28-2005, 12:09 AM
The dogs also were killed.

PETA's gonna be steamed...

4kV
03-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Now, don't offend me with your PETA comments. I am a card carrying member of PETA. In fact, I have a nice meat and cheese lasangna in the fridge waiting for me. After that, it'll be a trip to White Castle on the way home from work for breakfast.

Pat
People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

Ween
03-28-2005, 05:28 AM
I saw a billboard ad floating around on the net that had a picture of a deer or moose or something that said:

There's a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatos.

Ha ha ha ha!!!

brunswickrailfan
03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Darwin needs more examples...

'nuff said.

golden_spike
03-30-2005, 05:58 AM
i saw this up last night, but i just saw a news report on it. I was pleased that it didnt seem biased against the railroads. they included the part about the engineer saying he tried to stop and blew the horn, and they also said that the women were tresspassing on CSX property, which is obvious to all of us but might not be to some people.

The only thought i had was that because the women were visiting from out of town maybe they werent used to heavily used train lines or something.

common sense isn't that common.

busyEMT
03-30-2005, 01:51 PM
and they also said that the women were tresspassing on CSX property, which is obvious to all of us but might not be to some people.

It always amazes me, that for the majority of us railfan/ rail photographers, we are stopped and questioned when we are off railroad property. But, continually, I see people climbing over cars or walking along tracks.

It is common to see this in Northtown. People climb over mainline stack trains to get a 2 liter bottle of Mt. Dew. I guess I will be there to photograph someone's demise... and then help ONLY after I get permission to go on railroad property!

Ru1056
04-05-2005, 03:42 AM
If that train started that would really ruin his day. :roll:

Perhaps you could call the Special Agents when you see this happen. Just an anonymous phone call from a concerned citizen that someone is messing around with the trains.

Billy

E3429
04-05-2005, 09:26 PM
"If that train started that would really ruin his day. "

Yes, it could.

E

HAC
04-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Whether you morons realize it or not Betty Lou was someones mother and Bri someones sister. You people have no lives what so ever if all you can do is make jokes about the dead. You all are losers if all you have in your lives is to talk about something this sad and pick on them. You should all go jump in front of one of your precious trains and do the rest of the world a favor.

Joe
04-30-2005, 10:25 PM
You joined the forum just so you could defend a couple of utter morons? If you knew them personally, I'm sorry. But people who kill themselves due their own stupidity aren't going to get much sympathy.

"You should all go jump in front of one of your precious trains and do the rest of the world a favor."

Betty Lou and Bri did just that.

Donna
04-30-2005, 11:11 PM
"Jerks
Whether you morons "

Name calling, not the thing to do either.

cmherndon
04-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Whether you morons realize it or not Betty Lou was someones mother and Bri someones sister. You people have no lives what so ever if all you can do is make jokes about the dead. You all are losers if all you have in your lives is to talk about something this sad and pick on them. You should all go jump in front of one of your precious trains and do the rest of the world a favor.

Thank you for your support. :roll:

ssw9662
05-01-2005, 01:29 AM

Geez, that was, well, stupid... :roll:

Walking dogs can be done on those rail-trails we tear our railroads up for, not active main lines. :x

Donna
05-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Amen To That!

Donna
05-05-2005, 01:55 AM
I thought this story seemed like one I had heard several weeks prior to this thread. I took place in March....

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Train hits, kills mother and daughter
Two Tully women visiting relatives in Indiana were struck and killed by an Amtrak train Saturday.
Bette Lou May, 58, and her daughter, Rebecca Brianne May, 28, and their dogs were killed around 10:30 a.m. near Brookston, Ind.
Indiana State Police said the women were walking their dogs when one of the dogs stopped on the tracks.
The train engineer told investigators that he sounded the horn but the dog would not move. Bette Lou May was trying to get the dog to move and her daughter had joined her to help just before the train struck, police said.
Read Jim Read's full report on the accident Wednesday in The Post-Standard.

In the previous thread http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=3130117&nav=9TahXxF4 The only date that was shown was in the top righthand corner of channel 13's website. There was no date in the artical itself. Sorry, this was just bugging me. :-(

TimChgo9
05-18-2005, 03:45 PM

You know, HAC has a point, we shouldn't be so harsh, after all it was a hell of a way to die. I am not defending these women, it's just that people don't seem to realize that messing around on the tracks is just stupid, and stupid in the worst way. My father spent many years working with the "Operation Life Saver" grade crossing safety programe. A life long railfan, my father stressed to us about being safe around trains. It's lessons I have taken to heart, and have passed on to my own kids. There is no substitute for being safe around the tracks, none what so ever. I guess it's the stupidity of their actions that make this so tragic.

ssw9662
05-19-2005, 12:12 AM
You do have a great point, however, they were trespassing.